Easton is home to nearly 7,500 residents and is located in the heart of Fairfield County. It has retained much of the rural character that has attracted residents for decades.
North Fairfield, a part of the town of Fairfield, land was purchased from the Aspetuck Indians in 1670 for thirty pounds and an amount of trucking cloth. In 1762 the Connecticut General Assembly established the parish of North Fairfield. The Legislature in 1787 combined the parishes of North Fairfield and Norfield into the town of Weston. In 1845, the former parish of North Fairfield was divided from Weston and became Easton. It is still governed by the town meeting.
Samuel Staples died in 1787 leaving his entire estate to establish the Staples Free Academy. A fund descended from this beginning still provides a scholarship for college students from Easton. By 1867, there were thirteen school districts in town. The town hall was built in 1937, the gift of Gustavus A. Pfeiffer and Judge John F. McLane.
Until 1910, Easton was primarily a farming community with many small businesses and industries. Forty percent of the town area is devoted to reservoirs an watershed in keeping with the rural and residential character of this community. The water from these reservoirs is a critical element in serving the growing residential population in surrounding towns.